In this post, we’ll see how to create material design icon for the Android app in the Android studio. Material design app icons are the icons created by Google and are available by default in the android studio.
These material design app icons fit perfect for any size screen of Android. We can even add the desired color to the icon, so that icon suits to our app color and design.
As we told earlier, these Android app icons are by default available in the android studio, well, there is no need of any additional website or software.
Why should we use default icons from the android studio, when there are plenty of websites available for icons?
Yes, there are many websites available for android icons, but we must remember that we cannot use someones hard work freely.
When we use those icons, we must give attribution to the creator of icons or the website that provides the icons. There is no guarantee that they will suit the multiple devices screen size.
Since the Android studio is being developed and maintained by google, we can make sure these google design icons are perfect and suit for multiple devices screen sizes.
More over, these are free icons for android apps and does not need any attribution. We should not sell them by modifying them.
Icons like android app bar icons, launcher icons, toolbar icons and notification icons are available in the android studio. We can also use them for creating image buttons else we can add it to a text button.
Same icons can be used for edit text widgets as drawable left, right etc., We can change or create app icon anytime.
Let us see how to create icons in android image asset generator in the android studio.
- Create or Open an existing project and right click on the drawable folder.
- Go to New and Click on Image Asset.
- Click on Icon Type drop down box to select the type of icons. Action bar, Launcher and Tab, and Notification Icons are available as of now.
- Click on Clip Art icon to select an icon.
- After selecting the icons, we can theme of icon and padding. Theme means the color of the icon, we can even set the custom color to the icon. To set the theme, click on theme drop down menu.
- Set your custom name for your icon in the Name edit box.
- Select HOLO_LIGHT for black color icon and HOLO_DARK for the white color icon. To set a custom color click on CUSTOM and a dialog box appears as below and you can select a color from the palette or put our own hex code in the edit box and click on Choose to set the color.
- After selecting the color, click on Next.
- Click on Finish to complete the icon selection.
After completion of selecting the icon, the drawable folder in our project looks like below.
These android material design icons are available for download at material.io. But mostly prefer this method for creating app icons for Android app. Comment below for any queries regarding this post.